Cara Dahlor, William Jewell College, 816-415-5223, email@example.com
Barb Schulte, Kauffman Foundation, 816-932-1103, firstname.lastname@example.org
(Kansas City, Mo.) April 24, 2013 – William Jewell College has been awarded a $500,000 grant from the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation to develop an entrepreneurship model for its campus community.
The grant, to be distributed over a three-year period, will allow William Jewell to enhance the entrepreneurial culture on its campus and develop a sustainable environment of innovation. Plans include adding a faculty position and curriculum that explores innovation and creativity, awarding internal grants and creating an Innovation Center.
"William Jewell has a long history of providing a liberal arts education that develops entrepreneurial characteristics such as independent thinking, opportunity recognition, challenging assumptions and innovation needed in today's marketplace," said Dr. Kelli Schutte, Department of Business and Leadership chair. "This grant will allow Jewell to develop an integrated culture that infuses innovative thinking across the disciplines."
The grant funds from the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation will be matched by Jewell to build a sustainable program. Some of the key investments include:
- adding a Professor of Innovation to administer the creativity curriculum and entrepreneurial program;
- creating an Innovation Center with the technology and resources to cultivate ideas and help launch new ventures;
- funding grants for faculty and students to experience innovative initiatives;
- starting a new Venture Capital Fund supported by Jewell and the community for student start-up businesses;
- implementing new curriculum focused on creativity and experiential learning
- hosting ongoing faculty workshops that spur creativity and develop an entrepreneurial mindset;
- developing an entrepreneur mentor program;
- launching the Jewell Entrepreneurship Series to host experts and consultants on campus; and
- building a stronger student entrepreneur organization.
Professional development will be a focus area of the expanded model. Jewell faculty will have the opportunity to research, teach and infuse entrepreneurship into the curriculum across campus.
Creating experiential initiatives and activities will help students facilitate their entrepreneurial ideas, and faculty will be rewarded through opportunities for grants to implement new ideas, release time to research and stipends to disseminate their knowledge through presentations, publications or consulting.
About William Jewell College
William Jewell College is a national liberal arts college in Liberty, Mo., within Kansas City's metroplex of more than two million.