Entrepreneurs from Washington state to West Palm Beach advance to next round of nationwide pitch competition, hosted by the Kauffman Foundation
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Sept. 4, 2014) — The field of competitors looking to battle it out and be named one of this year's most promising U.S. startups has been narrowed to 20 semifinalists.
The Kauffman Foundation announced today that the entrepreneurial companies selected to proceed to the next round of "Get in the Ring: The American Startup Clash" hail from all corners of the nation and represent industries ranging from life science and education to food production and pet care.
The following semifinalists emerged from more than 250 applicants:
- ayzh; Fort Collins, Colo.
- Briteseed, LLC; Chicago
- Cearna Aesthetics; Chicago
- Cherryvale Farms; Soquel, Calif.
- Cheddar Up; Denver
- Farmily; Sanger, Calif.
- Fever Smart; Philadelphia, Pa.
- FitBark; Kansas City, Mo.
- Hitlist; New York
- Hydrobee; Seattle
- HyperBorean; Winfield, Kan.
- Innoblative Designs, Inc.; Evanston, Ill.
- Nanopore Diagnostics, LLC; St. Louis
- Oznoz; New York
- Parallax Enterprises, LLC; Pikesville, Md.
- ProctorFree; Huntersville, N.C.
- Spot On Sciences, Inc.; Austin, Texas
- SymbiOx; La Jolla, Calif.
- Identified Technologies; Pittsburgh
- Tiatros Inc.; San Francisco
These companies have until Sept. 26 to submit a three-minute video detailing their readiness to scale and succeed.
Based on their video entries and written applications, five U.S. finalists will be announced the week of Oct. 6 and advance to the North American level of competition, held Nov. 6-7 in Kansas City, Mo.
Hosted by the Kauffman Foundation, the first-ever North American pitch competition will bring together the five U.S. finalists with five finalists each from Canada and Mexico to vie for the continent's championship title.
Event sponsors are Sprint and Combat Brands; media partners are Inc., Marketplace from American Public Media and Kansas City PBS station KCPT. Visit www.kauffman.org/GITR for more information.
The North American champion will ultimately travel to Rotterdam, the Netherlands, to compete against winners from six other global regions (South America, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Northern Europe and Southern Europe) as part of Global Entrepreneurship Week.