"Startup Oasis" features three days of entrepreneurship programming
(AUSTIN) March 11, 2015 – The Kauffman Foundation, in partnership with UP Global, will host three days of entrepreneurship programming at the "Startup Oasis" during this year's SXSW Interactive in Austin. The event, running March 14 to 16 at the Old School Bar & Grill, will be home to all things startup during the first three days of the festival.
"With entrepreneurs from all over the world converging on Austin, SXSW presents a great opportunity for founders and creators to connect and share ideas," said Katie Baker, communications manager, Kauffman Foundation. "With that in mind, we're creating a startup destination designed to help entrepreneurs have fun and find inspiration."
Key Startup Oasis events at the Old School Bar & Grill, located at the corner of E. 6th and Trinity St., include:
- Pitch Like a Unicorn, 3/14 - 12:00 p.m.: Pitching your product can be a daunting and intimidating task for many entrepreneurs. To help take some of the mystery out of this process, EY will present a team of veteran entrepreneurs who will share tips and tricks that they've learned when approaching investors.
- Nasdaq Meetup, 3/14 - 2:30 p.m.: Join Nasdaq for an interesting conversation on the trials and tribulations of entrepreneurship, featuring a Q&A moderated by Politico's Bennett Richardson with members of the Freshman IPO class who will talk about the process of taking their company public.
- Oasis Startup Party, 3/14 - 10 p.m.: Showcasing 10 young companies, this event creates a perfect atmosphere for these startups to present their products or ideas and network with hundreds of potential customers.
- Office Hours, 3/15 - 2 p.m. and 3/16 - 3 p.m.: Top advisers across the business world provide one-on-one mentoring for startups.
- 1 Million Cups Organizer Gathering, 3/15 - 4 p.m.: Kauffman Foundation's 1 Million Cups program has engaged entrepreneurs all over the country. Organizers of past 1 Million Cups events are invited to attend this gathering to exchange ideas on the best ways to improve and continue to grow this program.
- Off the Grid – A Party Without Phones, 3/15 - 10 p.m.: Attendees will have to check their phones at the door and interact with their fellow partygoers. This represents a great networking opportunity without any of those annoying technological distractions.
- General Assembly – How to Get Your First 5,000 Users, 3/16 - Noon: One of the largest obstacles that any new consumer-based company faces is attracting customers. This event will provide easy, everyday tips from the founders of successful startups on the best ways to build a user community and accelerate growth.
- Kauffman Research Presents: Four Insights for the Fastest-Growing Companies, 3/16 - Noon: Contrary to what some believe, all great startups do not originate in Silicon Valley and raise massive amounts of venture capital. This panel discussion, featuring researchers from the Kauffman Foundation, will provide tips on how companies outside of stereotypical startup hubs can find success.
- Kauffman Research Presents: Quantified Entrepreneurship, 3/16 - 2 p.m.: How many startups are there in your city? How much money are entrepreneurs raising in your ecosystem? How many jobs do local startups contribute to your economy? This event will teach attendees how they can find the answers to these important questions and how to leverage them to create a better entrepreneurial environment.
- The Launch Party: A Kansas City Startup Community Celebration, 3/16 - 6 p.m.: Come celebrate the beginning of the Launch KC Grant Competition. This competition is open to any startup across the globe and is designed to provide vital grant funding to focused, well-rounded companies with thoughtful ideas.
For details on these and other events, visit http://startupoasis.up.co/.
About UP Global
UP Global is a non-profit dedicated to fostering entrepreneurship, grassroots leadership, and strong communities. Its mission is to make the world a more innovative and prosperous place, one community at a time. UP Global believes that entrepreneurs are critical to driving a strong global economy and a better world. It does this by supporting the grassroots leaders who are at the core of every strong entrepreneurial community. Through the efforts of community leaders, UP Global operates programs that foster entrepreneurship in hundreds of cities across the world. UP Global's programs and initiatives include Startup Weekend, Startup Digest, Startup Next, Education Entrepreneurs, and Startup Week.