2017 Kauffman Entrepreneurship Scholars Conference
Hosted by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
Thursday, October 5 - evening
Friday, October 6 - all day
Saturday, October 7 - until noon
We are delighted to announce the third Kauffman Entrepreneurship Scholars Conference (formerly known as the Kauffman Emerging Scholars Conference), to be held October 5-7, 2017 at the Kauffman Foundation in Kansas City, Missouri.
We believe research should help practitioners identify and address barriers faced by entrepreneurs so that everyone can turn an idea into an entrepreneurial reality.
Why Should I Attend?
- Connect. We are creating a cohesive group of entrepreneurship researchers from diverse academic disciplines. You will find new co-authors and ways to collaborate that you didn’t realize you were missing.
- Discover fresh ideas. We will learn and examine new ways to think about problems and barriers that entrepreneurs face and how they can be informed by research. We will look at ways to form cross-university and cross-disciplinary collaborations for maximum impact.
- Create real action. We will collectively determine ways to put your research into action for entrepreneurs, policymakers, and communities.
As part of this effort, Kauffman is seeking your help to provide insights into two overarching questions:
- What are the most significant causes of low rates of entrepreneurial starts and successes?
- What are the most effective levers to increase entrepreneurial starts and successes?
We want you to come. We want to hear how your research can advance the field of entrepreneurship and provide actionable insights to entrepreneurs, support programs, and policymakers. We want to get to know you, how we can help you, and how you can help us. This event is just for you, as a Kauffman Entrepreneurship Scholar.
Expect a great deal of diversity, collisions, collaboration, serendipity, openness, support, authenticity, and fantastic food as we look to solve big problems through research together.
We worked with a steering committee of your peers to design a conference that combines engagement on research, discussion of practical applications of research findings, and opportunities to engage with your peers. Plus, the Kauffman Foundation will cover the majority of your travel expenses related to this conference and we have great barbecue [even vegan!], so why not?
Who Should Attend?
This invitation-only conference is solely for Kauffman Entrepreneurship Scholars: Dissertation Fellows, Junior Faculty Fellows, and Kauffman Prize Medal recipients. You represent the leading edge of entrepreneurship research, and we encourage you to attend the conference even if you choose not to present.
What’s the Plan?
Based upon feedback from you and your peers, we redesigned the conference this year.
We look forward to welcoming you to Kansas City Thursday, October 5 for a cocktail reception and dinner.
On Friday, October 6 our program will open with conversations and Ignite presentations intended to spark discussion about the importance of entrepreneurship research in guiding both policy and practice [see CFP for details].
In the mid-morning and afternoon, we will hold concurrent research sessions, then will then reconvene to discuss implications from the day’s presentations, followed by a dinner at the Kauffman Foundation.
On Saturday morning, attendees have two options:
- An early career peer support session for professors in their first, second, or third year teaching.
- An action session to discuss the “now what?” from the results session on Friday, with a view to communicating practical solutions from entrepreneurship research findings to interested audiences.
Presentations and abstracts will be reviewed and selected based on thematic alignment with other submissions. Not all submissions will be selected for presentation. Please see the Call for Presentations for specific submission guidelines.
Please submit your presentation, abstract, or summary by Tuesday, July 18, 2017. As a reminder, this conference is invitation only for Kauffman Dissertation Fellows, Kauffman Junior Faculty Fellows, and Kauffman Prize Medal recipients; please do not forward the registration link.
The Kauffman Foundation will cover domestic airfare (coach) and up to $700 for international airfare. We will also pay for your hotel, ground transportation, and meals related to the conference. Specific details on how to arrange your travel will be provided upon registration. Please do not make your airline reservations until you have registered for the conference, as we will provide a Foundation contact through which to make the reservation. Visit the conference travel page for more details.
We look forward to seeing you in Kansas City in October. Please contact Mindee Forman at email@example.com if you have any questions.
If you tweet, we will be using the hashtag #eshipscholars for the conference.