Key recommendations of the report include:
- Create a new statewide authorizer in Missouri to approve and oversee high-quality public charter schools;
- Prioritize state oversight by clarifying the criteria by which the State Board of Education can hold authorizers accountable for performance;
- Provide adequate resources to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) that will support its charter school responsibilities properly;
- Close chronically low-performing charter schools by creating standards of academic performance and taking action against persistently failing schools;
- Equalize resources between charter and other public schools by making charters eligible for all state-funding streams; and,
- Improve the authorizing environment by requiring incumbent authorizers to re-apply for their status.
About the NAPCS
The National Alliance for Public Charter Schools (NAPCS) is the national nonprofit organization committed to increasing the number of high-performing charter schools available to all families, particularly low-income and minority families who currently don't have access to quality public schools.