The Kauffman Foundation works in partnership with organizations that share our vision and passion for education, entrepreneurship, and the Kansas City community. We look for ways to advance programs and to leverage additional funding and resources in these areas. We consider our grants to be investments, and we look for a return on the investments we make.
The majority of our grants are proactive and made to U.S. tax-exempt organizations. We are prohibited from making grants directly to individuals.
The Kauffman Foundation only funds programs within the United States. We fund entrepreneurship programs and activities located across the country and/or in Kansas City. The majority of our education grants and all of our civic-engagement grants go to organizations and efforts focused within Kansas City's five-county metropolitan area.
Please do not submit an application related to the following categories, as they are immediately declined:
- Requests from individuals, political, social, or fraternal organizations.
- Fund endowments, special events, arts, or international programs.
- Loans, startup expenses, or seed-capital funding for private businesses or scholarships requested by individuals.
- Institutions that discriminate on the basis of race, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, or sexual orientation in policy or in practice.
- Programs in furtherance of sectarian religious activities, impermissible lobbying, legislative, or political activities.
- Medical research, profit-making enterprises, or programs targeted for people with a specific physical, medical, or psychological condition.
The Kauffman Foundation does not have proposal deadlines or established funding limits. We have not established maximum or minimum dollar amounts. Grant amounts vary depending the scope of the specific project and the size of the organization.
After reviewing our strategic direction, and our Funding Guidelines (above), if you feel there is a strong match with your request, please visit our grants management portal to create an account and begin the grant application process. The Foundation does not accept proposals submitted via audiotape or videotape.
Please keep in mind that although your project may appear to fall under the guidelines of what we fund, the area of funding may not accept unsolicited proposals.
Please check our list of resources for individuals and organizations that may be able to provide you with additional guidance or support.
Thank you for your interest in the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation and for taking time to learn about the education and entrepreneurship efforts that we support.